Friday, July 23, 2010

Foodie Friday: Salsa Turkey Burgers

So, I don't cook.  It's just not in my genes.  But, since I tend to pack on the pounds when B is in charge of shopping and cooking, I have been attempting to make dinner regularly for a while now.  I've developed a pretty solid menu, and most of it is so easy I don't even need to read the recipe anymore.  And to top it off, it's (mostly) always usually fairly healthy.

Take for instance my current favorite: Salsa Turkey Burgers

Ingredients:
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I use whole wheat bread crumbs)
4 tablespoons chunky salsa (I use medium, but hot could work too)
1lb ground turkey (Beef would work too if you prefer)


Mix it all up in a bowl.  I use my hands. I'm sure there's other, more pleasant, ways to do this.  It's also one of the only times I take of my wedding band and engagement ring (they're soldered together).  I really don't need raw meat stuck in that thing.  Just my preference.



I know, it doesn't look appetizing - YET

After you've mixed it up pretty good, form your patties.  Make sure you spray some Pam, or have good non-stick pans.  Ground turkey doesn't stick together quite as good a ground beef, so if it falls apart a little just try and mush it back together.  Also, they burn pretty quick on the outside, but don't let that deceive you! It takes a bit to get cooked all the way through.  Remember to flip them!

*We haven't tried these on the grill yet, due to selling our grill on Craigslist, and B STILL not assembling the grill we got as a wedding present... but I'm sure they'd be awesome on the grill!*

We usually top them with some shredded cheese - or slices if that's all we have - and let it melt for a minute.  Slap it into some buns - whole wheat in this house - and top with your choice of condiments.

Finish it off with some tasty sides such as onion rings, sweet potato fries, or regular fries.  Or, the slightly healthier option we went with was some rice, (Uncle Ben's rice pouches - 90 seconds in the microwave, tons of flavors, wicked cheap.  A staple in the B&S household), and chopped up some summer squash and zucchini - which I'm pretty sure B just drizzles some olive oil on in a frying pan, and then tops with some Lawry's seasoning salt.  It's amazing.


My sister tried the burgers and thought they were a little soft (although her husband and sons had no complaints), so that's something to keep in mind.  She's going to give it a shot as a meatloaf - so we'll have to see how that turns out!

Let me know if you try - or have tried it - or have other wicked easy recipes for me to try!

No comments: