Saturday, February 12, 2011

Half Marathon, for real.

I've survived my first three weeks of half marathon training.  In one piece at that :)

I'm following this program by Hal Higdon, with slight modifications, since I had more than 12 weeks from when I started until the race.  I mostly just doubled up on a few weeks a little later in the training, especially the ones that involve running more than 6 miles, since that is currently my longest distance.

My half-marathon is on May 7, 2011.

Which is currently 83 days away.  Seems like alot, but it isn't.

It's the Big Lake Half Marathon and looks like it'll be a blast.  Well, as much of a blast as running 13.1 miles can be.  Each water stop is themed, and the volunteers compete to have the best one, there's even some live music along the course!  It's also along the lake, which, as long as the weather is good, will provide for some awesome views to distract from the distance.  And, I'm a big sucker for the free stuff, I think "real runners" call it swag, from the race, and this race includes a multi-color tech shirt, as well as a finishers medal at the end.  Which I mean, who doesn't love getting a medal?

As I mentioned previously, I'm also running for charity.  I've signed up to be a Wish Racer, for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.  You can read more about my decision to do that on my fundraising website, which can be found here.  I think its a great cause, and it seems to be a no-pressure fundraising effort, which I appreciate.  A friend who is running a marathon, looked into running for a charity, which stipulated that you must raise a certain amount, and if you don't, they will charge your credit card the difference.  I don't know how common that is, but I found it kind of.... rude. Maybe its just me.

I'll try to keep updated on the training, and not beg for money too much :)

Anyway, there you have it. I'm really doing it.

I haven't told my knees yet though.  Not sure they can hold out that long, so let's just agree to not let them know until it gets a bit closer, k? Kthanks :)

No comments: