Monday, January 31, 2011

Full Frontal

HA, this is so not what the title implies.  But it's got you reading!

Rather than starting at the beginning, let's start at the front for our house celebration.

Front door that is.

You may have heard me complain about the ugly blue that far too many parts of our house were painted.  Well, it started with the front door.


(Love that reflection of the neighbors house. I'm such a good photographer...)


Here it is from the inside. You'll have to trust me that it was that same blue when we moved in... but I it was one of the first things I painted.  And was long before I realized I should take pictures of evvvvverything.

So, not a lot of light came through those little windows on top.  And the mail slot? Stuffed with insulation.  Oh, and what you can't see, is the giant crack going through it.  Right through - since it was a wood door.  Doesn't do much for heating costs.

So, for my birthday last year, B bought me a new door!  It's Therma-Tru brand, and its the fiber glass option.  Which has quite a few benefits over a wood door - probably even more so over a wood door that was probably 40 years old.  They're low maintenance, energy efficient, resist dents and scratches, etc.  So it's perfect for me. I'm lazy, I don't like to pay for things I don't have to (like extra heat), and have a crazy dog that gets so excited to go outside she jumps on the door.


Pretty awesome difference huh?  It took B's dad probably less than 2 hours to switch them out (because he's awesome).  I feel like it really gave our house a face lift.  It is still currently white (almost a year later), but it is paint-able, if we wanted to do that at some point.  The garage door is white, so it looks just fine to us as is for the time being.  You'll also notice we don't have a storm door.  We plan to get one, we just haven't quite gotten around to it.


Clearly I still need to get rid of the blue on those shutters.  If only I could figure out how to get rid of that scalloped trim stuff up there... so dated.  Ah, the never ending projects.


Quite a bit more light, huh?  I love it.  I can actually see who is knocking on my door!

So there you have it, a little home improvement project that upped the first impression status of our house.  And bonus, it's an energy efficient purchase, that we can write off on our taxes.  Next up in the house celebration: through the front door into the living room.

No comments: